Saturday, June 10, 2006

Reading Goals part 2: Philosophy of Language (well not entirely...)

In addition to my philosophy of religion/theology reading that I have mapped out over the next 14 months I am also planning on reading some analytic (or some prefer anglophone) philosophy. I am going to being with two books that are an in depth survey of 20th century philosophy up to 1975.

Book 1a - Philosophical Analysis in the Twentieth Centure, vol. 1: The Dawn of Analysis, by Scott Soames
Book 1b - Philosophical Analysis in the Twentieth Century, vol. 2: The Age of Meaning, by Scott Soames

Book 2 - Thought and Reference by Kent Bach.

Book 3 - Reference and Essence, by Nathan Salmon

Book 4 - Frege's Puzzle, by Nathan Salmon

Book 5 - Beyond Rigidity, by Scott Soames

Book 6 - Reference and Description, by Scott Soames

Book 7 - Descriptions and Beyond, edited by Marga Reimer and Anne Bezuidenhout

Book 8 - Theories of Vagueness, by Rosanna Keefe (note: if you would like to know what vagueness is ask my lovely wife, she can explain to anyone who is interested in vagueness what the sorites paradox is.)

Along with the nine books listed above I also plan on reading an assortment of philosophy articles concerned with philosophy of language and vagueness. We will see how that works out. Right now I am about 1/4 of the way through book 1a will post more on this when I finish...

No comments: