Tuesday, August 31, 2004

The death of classical foundationism

Alvin Plantinga - though he himself is a foundationalist, but not a classical foundationalist - has given religious people reason to hold to their religious beliefs without using any arguments. His claims that belief in God can be properly basic. A properly basic belief is one in which a person does not need to argue for it, such as I am being appeared to treely - I see a tree. I don't need to argue that I see a tree in front of me, but rather this belief is basic, meaning I don't need any inferences to form this belief. Plantinga rejects the classical foundationalists' view of a properly basic belief and defines it accordingly:

Classical Foundationalists PBB - A proposition p is properly basic for a person S if and only if p is either self-evident fo S or incorrigible for S or evident to the senses for S.

The problem with this claim is that I believe for lunch I ate a spicy chicken sandwich, which meets none of the above criteria. Yet the belief concerning what I ate for lunch is properly basic for me. Eventually Plantinga will argue that belief in God can be properly basic, but some problems will occur such as the Great Pumpkin Objection (GPO). I will attempt to better exegete and explain Plantinga's views in later posts, and help answer the GPO.

No comments: