Friday, August 26, 2005

Ontological Argument for the Existence of God

For my phil. of religion survey we began by reading a survey of the ontological arguments for the existence of God. I think that this argument is a logical proof that God exists. However, I don't think logical arguments necessarily aid one in evangelism. By the way, ontological is a study of being.

(1) God is the greatest possible being: (i) God is all-powerful; (ii) God is all-knowing; and (iii) God is morally perfect, i.e. all-loving.

(2) The greatest possible being does not depend upon its existence from anything else, i.e. it self-exists or it necessarily exists.

(3) Therefore God exists.

Though this argument looks weak and simple the premises are very resillient. The move that the atheist has to make is that it is impossible for there to be a greatest possible being with the attributes in (1). This is why so much of philosophy of religion has depended upon defending God's omniscience, omnipotence, and omnibenevolence.

I'll post on my vagueness class later on ;)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree....logical arguments DO NOT aid one in evangelism. I had to figure that out for myself in Poland. I'm a slow learner at times. Paul also said in 1 Corinthians chapter 2 that he came to them with weakness and trembling and his speech was not eloquent or powerful so that their faith would stand on the power of God, not on men's power of persuasion. I'm paraphrasing...

Di

Anonymous said...

Hey...what's your email address?
Jen

Justin said...

My email is *word* underscore/underline *became* underscore/underline *flesh* underscore/underline at yahoo dot com