Wednesday, January 26, 2005

Intermediate State

So now that I've thought through the monism/dualism debate in Christian theology, I've come down on the side of the dualist. Why's this? There are a couple of reasons. First, let me explain some of the important factors in this decision that must be taken into consideration. We only experience the fullness of life upon the physical bodily resurrection. When we go to heaven, it is a partial existence; disembodied states for Christians are not a fuller better existence than a physical state - if this were true than gnosticism wouldn't be a heresy. Jesus died on the cross to show us what we had to look forward to.

(1) There does seem to be some type of existence after death, though not a full existence according to the scriptures.

(2) As far as philosophical theories go, physicalism appears to be false.

(3) Worship requires intentionality (aboutness), and there aren't any naturalistic theories of intentionality that work.

This is now why I am a dualist, notice that I am a dualist for philosophical and theological reasons. Now I just have to decide how a correct theory of dualism works.

No comments: