Friday, January 28, 2005

Future thoughts about phil. mind & language

As I have previously mentioned in this blog, I'm working on three areas of specialization in philosophy: philosophy of religion, philosophy of language, and philosophy of mind. So last night I was discussing with some of my evangelical friends the kind of philosophical research I envision myself doing in the future. Two classes that I would definitely like to teach in a Christian seminary setting include, religious language, and the philosophical theology of the soul. Every aspect of philosophy that I do, I always anticipate how this will relate to philosophy of religion, and how I ought to think about this topic as a Christian philosopher. Though I do enjoy particular aspects of mind & language. For instance, I am really intrigued by the semantics/pragmatics debate between minimalism and contextualism - this debate mainly involves 'What is said?' Is 'What is said?' closer to the meaning of the sentence meaning, or is it closer to the speaker's intentions. There are counterintuitive consequences of the former, and the latter ultimately depends upon intuitions. Yet, I always bring it back to how this pertains to Christian ideas, and where I see this application leading towards is biblical hermeneutics. Oh well, that's enough random musings for today... nothing too exciting really.

No comments: