Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Definition of Orthodoxy

Something that I think about a lot is the definition of 'orthodoxy'. What does it mean for one to be an orthodox Christian? In many ways, I don't think that a person who isn't orthodox, with respect to Christian beliefs, is a Christian.

So what topics fall into the realm of orthodoxy? I think believing the Bible is the Word of God and adhering to the creeds that were accepted by the entire Church constitutes orthodoxy. I believe the creeds include, Nicene Creed, Constantinople, Chalcedon, and the Apostle's Creed. I don't believe that the creeds are inspired on the same level as the Word of God, but I do believe that the creeds were given to the Church by the Holy Spirit to aid the Church in correct biblical interpretation. The Incarnation, Trinity, return of Christ, bodily resurrection of Christ, virgin conception, salvation by grace, sinfulness of humanity are the main topics covered by the creeds. Almost all heresies in the Church have been a result of people neglecting the creeds and ignoring the whole of Scripture and paying attention to one or two passages, while neglecting others.

So orthodoxy is something that most evangelicals are, at least I hope that's true.

No comments: