Wednesday, September 22, 2004

As the title says...

This time it's more of random statements than thoughtful musings.

Ok, is this a more of a bachelor moment or a college student moment. I worked out on Sunday and again on Monday. Both days I did just cardio, today I was going to do chest and triceps, and I didn't want to get too many t-shirts sweaty, because then I'd have to do laundry more frequently. So, I took the shirt that I wore on Sunday to the gym, noticed that it was still wet with sweat, smelled bad (but not too bad) and wore it to work out in. I never did that while I was in seminary, so I think this is a college student moment.

I weighed myself today, and I've lost 3 lbs since I've moved to Norman. When I first began college at the University of North Texas, I gained 30 lbs in the first year, but that was mainly due to the the amount of alcohol that was consumed and a cloud of smoke that was perpetually nearby along with the munchies. I also think that it helps for me to ride my bike to school everyday instead of driving, though it's only a 3 mile roundtrip. (Parking passes are outrageous at OU, $175.)

There's a lot of smart undergrads here. In my metaphysics class, there's a couple of guys that are dual majors, I think one's a physics and philosophy and the other a mathematics and philosophy. Sometimes I just think, "man, I've got to work harder to keep up w/ the undergrads." I've also noticed that some of the grad students are arrogant, though I would consider the undergrads smarter. Sometimes, the more humble the person, the more they know, because they realize how much they don't know. That's one thing that I've realized, many people who think they know don't know, and the people that do know, are often much slower to speak.

One of the things about philosophy is that it forces you to get thick skin. Part of the nature of the business is to present an argument, allow someone to shoot you down, re-work it, present it again, and get shot down again. I've definitely become much more able to listen to other ideas, probably in the last 3 years, because I realize that it's only listening to other ideas that you can learn more. Not that other ideas sway me, but I listen. I also think in this philosophical process it helps one to recognize weak (or the lack of an argument) or bad arguments presented by people. Most of what passes for an argument today is emotional blabber.

Now for a theological point. Sometimes you just don't know what God is doing with your life, but you just have to trust Him. A lot of days I wonder if I will ever get my PhD but I don't think that's the main reason why God has me here. I really think part of it is about my character, doing something to the best of my ability. I'm not sure if I've ever done my best at something before, and right now, I think that's what God is trying to get me to do. So everyday I pray that I will do the best that I can with the situation that God has placed me in. What's the end result? Let's just say, some days are better than others.

No comments: