Sunday, November 21, 2004

ETS/EPS Report

I must admit that I really immensely enjoyed my mini-vacation in San Antonio. I really needed it - though I didn't get much sleep the two nights in San Antonio, since I've gotten back I've slept 9 hours and 10 hours. This is an unheard of amount of sleeping for me, I'm lucky if I get 7 hours let alone 8 hours.

There was an interesting tone being set at the meeting. Openness theology is definitely getting hammered on. But what really got hammered on is post-modern evangelical theologians. These are theologians that deny truth is foundational and claim that truth is only found in the community of believers. Stanley Grenz was hammered on the hardest. These theologians were referred to as "cowards" and their idea of truth being non-foundational as "not worthy of the martyrs' blood" - this is what J.P. Moreland said (a Christian apologist who has written popular level books).

I only bought six books while I was there: First Theology by Kevin Vanhoozer; Out of Egypt (vol. 5 in a hermeneutics series); God & Time, ed. Greg Ganssle; Philosophers Who Believe, ed. Kelly James Clark; New Testament Theology, I. Howard Marshall; Problem of Evil, ed. Peter van Inwagen.

So, the book that I'm mostly reading now is God & Time. I just read a section on the atemporalist view of God by Paul Helm. I'm going to read it again then post a summary on my blog tomorrow. It will keep me accountable to reading if I post some interesting arguments from what I'm reading.

No comments: