Thursday, October 27, 2005

Old Skool Music

As I was working out last night I was thinking of some songs that I used to listen to by a band called NIN - actually recorded in the studio by one man, Trent Renzor, but hires a band when he plays live. Some of the lyrics I was thinking of are from a song called "Head Like a Hole":
God money I'll do anything for you
God money just tell me what you want me to do
God-money goes dancing on the backs of the bruised,
God-money's not one to choose


Another song was "Wish":
Wish there was something real wish there was something true


The last one is probably the most offensive "Slavery":
Don't open your eyes you won't like what you see,
the devils of truth steal the souls of the free
Don't open your eyes, take it from me,
I have found you can find happiness in slavery


It just made me realize how many Christians in the church actually do what NIN is singing about. How many megachurches worship big buildings and programs? How many churches are only concerned about how much they can build?

It seems like the song "Wish" is what the gospel is an answer to. The gospel points us to the work that Christ did on the cross. It is REALITY with all caps. If we don't aknowledge the life, death, and resurrection of Christ as the Reality of this world that has altered reality, we will never reach or change our culture. Too many people in the church think that a big building is what makes a good church. However, the church is no different from big businesses when all they are concerned about is buildings.

We need to preach what is real and true!

No comments: