Tuesday, March 23, 2004

Pastoral Problem, blah, blah, blah (Tres)

Well, now I have run off all my readers, but hey, I'm entertaining myself... I digress. I think the biggest problem that people face in decision making is blame. Whenever something bad happens people have a natural tendency to want to blame someone. God is most often the target of this blame. Now, as a close friend told me the Psalms teach us that it's ok to be mad at God. Fair enough. However, when we are mad at God we do not have a reason to be. God has given us more than we will ever realize and God has given us more than we deserve. But humans are greedy - we always want more and more. So when we make bad choices that causally produce negative consequences we don't want to blame ourselves, because God should have rescued us from ourselves. This is often why people just say that God will do X or God will do Y. That takes the pressure off of the individual having to choose how to accomplish X or Y. Also if the individual fails to accomplish X or Y, the individual has a scapegoat to blame for her failure, God. Now I probably sound a little cynical on this topic, if I am, "sorry." I believe that God is in control but also lets us make decisions concerning our lives. When we make poor choices, it's not God's fault that we were not wise, it's our own fault.

No comments: