Monday, March 29, 2004

That time of the semester...

Well, at Weatherford College (counting this week as over) there are only 4 more weeks of school. Both Southwestern Baptist Theological Seminary and Tarleton State University have 5 more weeks. So this means summer time which means I get to read what I want to read. So what will I read? I can best answer this by askeing, "What is the main thing that I have learned this last month or two months?" Well, that I don't know any where near as much as I think I do. Students at SWBTS are kinda in a bubble, lots of students come here without a clue and leave without a clue because classes are easy. I appear somewhat intelligent when I compare myself to them. However, if there is anything that I have learned by applying to different PhD programs it is that I don't know that much. Students that did not have master's degrees got accepted whereas I was working on a PhD and could not get in. I have decided that academics is similar to what Thomas Edison once said about invention... 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration. I think academics is similar... I need to work harder. The Christian world in academics often pat themselves on the back for clever arguments that often get destroyed by secular academics. I need to be able to compete with the secular academics, therefore I must work harder. So it is back to the drawing board, I will read some surveys of epistemology, and metaphysics and work on some logic. I will also read through Alvin Plantinga's trilogy in Christian epistemology, the "Warrant" series... wish me luck on reading all the books this summer, or should I say "pray for me." But God has given me the passion and desire to study philosophy of religion, I now need to use the cognitive faculties that God has given to me.

No comments: