Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Home & Academics

I was flipping through the blogroll of Bananawama and TCUgirly tonight - because I was procrastinating so I could keep from writing my paper on John Hick. (I am at the beginning of my 7 page right now. I can go to bed after I write this post.) One of the xanga sites I cam across was a girl who was going to SWBTS. It reminded me how much I miss Fort Worth. I know that both OK and TX are in the southwest, but the states are extremely different. Texas has to be one of the coolest states in the U.S. (don't take this statement literally, b/c it is 100+ everyday in the summer) and I miss TX. I must admit that this is the most that I have been relaxed all semester... though I have a final tomorrow that I haven't studied for. Don't worry, it will be essay and true/false, and last time I studied about this much and earned a 98. This final is for philosophy of mind. I turned in my first paper on Monday, my paper for religious epistemology is due on Friday and next Wednesday my paper for philosophy of mind is due. So, things are finally starting to wind down.

I have begun to think about what I will do for the summer. I think that I am going to try and get a job at Starbucks, I only want to work about 20-30 hours a week, I just need something to do. I have thought about teaching as an adjunct at a community college - they have the best teachers you know - but that would be more work than I want to do. So Starbucks sounds good, because they treat their employess well, give you a free pound of coffee every week, free coffee while you work, and a 30% discount when you're not working. All of these things rock.

My real motivation for working at a place like Starbucks is that I worry sometimes that I become too much of a philosopher and academic. Philosophers have their own lingo and way of taking peoples words and statements literally. Then analyzing what the grammatical structure is and the many possible meanings that the speaker could have intended. It's good for me to hang out with normal people who don't wonder whether a statement somebody made is a modus ponens or a modus tolens argument. Yes, I am weird.

BTW - I just tried to log onto AIM and it said I was blocked... did I make anyone mad at me?

No comments: