Friday, December 03, 2004

Intentionality & Worship

I have an idea for a paper that I will submit to be presented in November at the national Evangelical Philosophical Society meeting - at Valley Forge, PA. Here is the thesis: If materialism is true, Christians cannot worship God, because worshipping God entails that our thoughts and affections are about and directed at God. However, no naturalistic theories of content or intentionality have proved fruitful, hence Christians ought not be materialists.

I should say that I still reject Rene Descartes' and Plato's notions of the soul. This is something that hopefully I can explain later on, and tell a story that is consistent theologically and philosophically.

Intentionality is the concept that our thoughts are about something (or directed at something).

Materialism is the idea that all that exists is matter, but this view also allows for the existence of God.

Physicalism claims that all that exists is what science claims exists, hence there cannot be any type of deity in a physicalist worldview. (I think naturalism and physicalism are synonymous terms.)

So my question to everybody is (hopefully I have explained all the terms that I've used and you can understand my thesis), is my notion of worship right? Is worship simply the fact that our thoughts and affections are directed at and focused on God? I realize that worship involves thanking God for what He has done, acknowledging who He is, and giving glory to God - I don't think that we can do any of these things if our thoughts cannot be directed towards God. Anyway, I think this is my whole paper, of course I'll flesh things out more and give more sustained arguments, but this is the abstract for my paper topic.

No comments: