Sunday, December 05, 2004

nonexistent objects

First of all, I'd like to say that on launchcast the Halloween Remix by Ministry is playing. A band that got their start in one of my best friend's favorite city - Chicago. A city that this friend of mine has betrayed by not rooting for their hapless yet fabled baseball franchise.

On to doctrinal matters. I don't know if many of you are familiar with Christian apologist William Lane Craig or not, but I wanted to post some thoughts about him. I was first exposed to him when he debated an atheist, and this is what has inspired me to become a philosopher, when Craig debated an atheist I realized that Christians can show that Christianity is true, just as much as atheists can show that it is false. I have become increasingly more disappointed with Craig, during the Evangelical Philosophical Society meeting in San Antonio he demonstrated his lack of knowledge and understanding by asking several frivolous questions. However my biggest disappointment is his endorsement of an apollonarian position. An appolonarian believes that Christ inhabited just flesh when He was incarnated. Instead of claiming that Jesus Christ was fully God and fully man, an apollonarian will claim that He was fully God entombed in flesh. Now my readers aren't theological readers like I am, but I want to ask you, how important is it to get the Incarnation right? Is it important to understand the Incarnation and is it part of preaching the gospel? I think that it is, explaining the Trinity and the Incarnation, I believe is part of preaching the gospel.

On a somewhat related note, I am writing a metaphysics paper in which I am arguing that we can attribute properties to objects that don't exist. So an impossible object such as the round square, can have the properties of roundness and squareness, yet not exist. The key of the whole argument is that I have to establish or argue for a method of being able to refer to these nonexistent objects. Now, some people would claim that the Incarnation leads to a logical contradiction. However, a contradiction by definition is something that is: A & not A. So we don't claim that the Incarnation is God and not God, nor do we claim that the Incarnation is man and not man. We claim that the Incarnation is fully God and fully man. This includes some things that people don't like, and this is why William Lane Craig is an apollonarian. So if the Incarnation is fully God and fully man, then Jesus has the mind of God and the mind of man. The knowledge that God has and the knowledge that man has. By biblical definition of the Incarnation we can't deny that Jesus Christ is fully God and fully man. So part of the reason that I'm writing this paper on nonexistent objects is to learn more about the predication of properties that appear to lead to incompatibilities.

Anyway, I would appreciate comments on how important fundamental doctrines are for preaching the gospel.

No comments: